- Apparel and footwear industries account for 8 per cent of global greenhouse emissions. That nearly equals the TOTAL level of emissions from the ENTIRE European Union.
- It takes up to 2,700 litres of water in the process of making ONE t-shirt. That is three years worth of drinking water for one person.
- North Americans are shipping 10.5 million tons of clothing into dumps and landfills each year. It is estimated 95 per cent of that material is recyclable.
- The typical two fashion cycles a year has skyrocketed up to 50 cycles in a year.
- In 2014, consumers bought 60 per cent more clothing on average compared to 2000, but threw new purchase twice as fast.
Posted on November 5, 2018
More and more reports of the wasteful nature of the fashion industry are rising and people are taking notice. Governments are calling for accountability from the top brands as the facts behind the immense waste made by modern fashion producers are coming to light. There are also calls to focus on more efficient recycling methods. For example: